- Ferry companies connecting Athens to the island of Ikaria
- - The two main ferry companies
- - What type of boat do you travel on?
- Planning a ferry trip to Ikaria Island with Direct Ferries
- - Why choose Direct Ferries?
- - Athens-Ikaria timetables
- - Travel time between Athens and Ikaria
- - Fares for travel from Athens to Ikaria
- How do I book the ferry trip to Ikaria Island from Athens?
ou would like to go to Greece on holiday to visit Ikaria? Here is our mini guide to get to Ikaria from Athens by ferry!
Often unknown to French travellers, the island of Ikaria is one of the most original of the Greek islands. Located halfway between Mykonos and Samos, Ikaria is closer to the Turkish coast than to the coasts of mainland Greece. However, there are ferry connections to Ikaria from Athens. The island is like a rock lost in the middle of the Aegean Sea, capped by white houses and traditional villages. Ikaria lives to the rhythm of its many village festivals, the Panigiria: traditional evenings considered to be the most authentic in Greece. The island is also covered with forests, mountains of granite and shale, and steep cliffs plunging into the sea.
Do you want to visit an island to live in slow motion, like an island away from mass consumption? Here are our tips for getting to Ikaria from Athens by ferry.
Also read :
How to get around by ferry in Greece?
The 6 must-do things to do in Ikaria
The 15 must-do things to do in Athens
Ferry companies connecting Athens to the island of Ikaria
As Ikaria is very little frequented by international tourists, there are therefore very few shipping companies serving the island on a regular basis. At low demand its supply is low. Here are the carriers with which you can travel to Ikaria from Athens by ferry.
The two main ferry companies
Two shipping companies operate through Ikaria from Athens by ferry. These are the companies :
- Hellenic Seaways: the company has two routes. Indeed, 3 times a week it makes the Piraeus-Agios Kirikos crossing while it makes the Piraeus-Evdilos crossing 6 times a week.
- Blue Star Ferries: the company also serves these two ports on the island.
Note: there are for example more crossings with a stopover in Mykonos, Chios or Samos. By stopping in Mykonos, the choice of companies widens. For example, you can travel with SeaJets.
What type of boat do you travel on?
Whether it is to Evdilos or Agios Kirikos, you will board the ferry called "Nissos Mykonos". This ship, owned by Hellenic Seaways, is one of the fastest ferries in the Greek islands. It can carry more than 400 cars and almost 2,000 passengers. The ship is equipped with numerous services (cabins, restaurants, bars) for the comfort of the passengers.
View ferries between Athens and Ikaria
Plan a ferry trip to the island of Ikaria with Direct Ferries
Why choose Direct Ferries?
Tired of searching for an exhaustive list of available carriers and routes with or without stopovers? We understand you. Finding out which journey is possible with this or that stopover and at what price is a tedious operation. Using Direct Ferries will relieve you of this search.
First of all, note that Direct Ferries combines two offers. Firstly, it is a comparison of sea crossings, which aggregates for the user the available routes according to all the partner companies. It is also (and logically) an online booking platform for these sea crossings. In a few steps, you can view all the available journeys at the desired dates and times. The search tool therefore offers a significant time saving.
The advantages of the platform :
- It allows you to see everything free of charge and in French. The sites of the Greek companies can sometimes be written in the local language, i.e. in Greek. Therefore, if you don't know the Greek alphabet, it can be complicated to book a ticket to go to Ikaria from Athens by ferry.
- You don't have to search the net to find the most competitive fares among all the providers. Once you have indicated your destinations on the dates and times you want, you specify whether you are travelling alone or in a group, with or without animals and with or without a vehicle. That's almost all you have to do. Direct Ferries offers the possibility to search over several days, which is ideal if you are flexible on your dates of stay.
- The platform offers the certainty of making a secure payment.
Timetables for Athens-Ikaria connections
Schedules logically vary according to the booking period and the shipping companies. To go to Ikaria from Athens by ferry, here are some time slots spotted on Direct Ferries :
- Piraeus-Evdilos: 16h-23h20
- Piraeus-Agios Kirikos: 16h-23h20
- Evdilos-Le Piraeus: 5:05-12:30 pm
- Agios Kirikos-Piraeus: 16.05-23.30 hrs.
Travel time between Athens and Ikaria
The journey therefore takes 7h20 or 7h25. Choose the trips according to what you want to do. If, before your return, you want to enjoy the island on the last day (especially the surroundings of Agios Kirikos), the evening trip is best suited. If, on the other hand, you wish to be in Athens as early as possible, you can leave at 5.05 am.
Fares for travel from Athens to Ikaria
How much does it cost to go to Ikaria from Athens by ferry? For a departure from Athens to Evdilos, the one-way ticket can cost 90€ . For a return trip, the price is logically multiplied by two (i.e. 180€).
How do I book the ferry trip to Ikaria Island from Athens?
Booking an online ticket to go to Ikaria from Athens by ferry is simple.
- You start by filling in your travel dates at the desired times. Then, specify whether you are accompanied or not, whether you are travelling with animals or not, and whether you are pedestrian or motorised. There will not be a lot of choice of crossings.
- Once you have selected a route, a form will ask for your civil status information. Your phone number and email address are also required.
- Select your seat type and proceed to online payment.
- You will receive a booking confirmation by e-mail. Remember to take it with you on departure: you may have to show it to the staff on the platform to obtain your boarding pass.
Enjoy your stay in Ikaria!
View ferries between Athens and Ikaria