- Itinerary Ideas in Turkey by motorhome
- Motorway tolls in Turkey: which tariff for your category of motorhome?
- Driving in Turkey in a motorhome: the traffic rules to know
- - Travel Documents
- - Safety and equipment
- - Blood Alcohol
- - Speed limitation
- RV parks in Turkey: where to park?
- - Parking
- - Camping, parking lots and wilderness camping
- How and where to rent a motorhome in France?
- - How does it work?
- How and where to rent a motorhome in Turkey?
- When is the best time to travel by motorhome in Turkey?
How to visit Turkey by motorhome or converted van? Discover our guide for a successful road trip!
Do you want to go on an adventure and visit a country by motorhome, van or converted van? Then why not discover Turkey? Turkey has been a popular tourist destination for some years now. There, the beaches are magnificent, the landscapes are breathtaking, and the weather is warm almost all year round. It is also a country rich in history and culture, with many traces of its past to visit.
Would you like to visit Turkey by motorhome or converted van? Then read the mini-guide we have prepared for you!
Rent a motorhome for Turkey
Itinerary Ideas in Turkey by motorhome
With a surface area of 783,562 km² and varied relief, Turkey is a country where you will never tire of travelling! You can be at the beach one day and be in the mountains the next.
Of course, the country has its must-see places, such as Istanbul, Antalya, Göreme National Park and Izmir. Nevertheless, it is by visiting the less touristy corners that you will discover the wonders of Turkey! Visit small villages typical of the country, venture into the mountains or discover the local customs with the locals. You will see, even after a month, you will still be amazed!
Also think about visiting Turkey in a converted van and its most beautiful places and monuments! Pass by the Basilica of Saint Sophia, go to Pamukkale and Nemrut Dağı, or take a walk in the most beautiful Turkish bazaars!
Do you want to visit Turkey in a converted van or camper van, but don't know where to start? Here are a few ideas for itineraries to help you:
- One week: Istanbul, Safranbolu, Boğazkale, Göreme National Park and Antalya.
- 10 days: Istanbul, Safranbolu, Sinop, Samsun, Boğazkale, Göreme National Park and Antalya
- 15 days: Istanbul, Safranbolu, Ankara, Sinop, Samsun, Artvin, Sumela Monastery, Boğazkale, Göreme National Park and Antalya.
- 30 days and more in Turkey: 15 days itinerary + Izmir, Bursa, Mersin, Adana, Malatya, Erzurum, Kayseri, Konya and Tatvan.
Good to know: These itineraries are only ideas to help you prepare your trip. Feel free to arrange them according to your interests! After all, this is your experience of visiting Turkey by motorhome!
Motorway tolls in Turkey: which tariff for your category of motorhome?
Unfortunately, you will have to face tolls in Turkey on the motorways. There are many of them, but the good news is that the tolls are quite low! Here are some examples of common routes to visit Turkey by motorhome :
- Edirne - Istanbul: 8.5 TL (1.36 euro)
- Istanbul - Ankara: TL 17.5 (EUR 2.79)
- zmir - Aydin: 3.5 TL (0.56 euro)
- Niğde - Mersin: 10.75 TL (1.72 euro)
- Adana - Sanh Urfa: 12.25 TL (1.96 euro)
- Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge: 4.75 TL (0.76 euro)
- Bosphorus Bridge: 4.75 TL (0.76 euro)
These amounts must be paid using an electronic card or sticker. You can obtain them at post offices (PTT). It is also possible to obtain them at a rest area or gas station. The sticker, designed for one vehicle, costs 5 TL (0.80 euro). The card costs 15 TL (2.39 euros) and can be used for several vehicles. You will then have to charge them with a minimum amount imposed according to the class of your vehicle.
Driving in Turkey in a motorhome: the traffic rules to know
This will probably be confusing, but in Turkey you will have to drive on the left lane. Most roads have been upgraded and are very pleasant to drive on. However, in agricultural areas, roads are sometimes damaged. Also, it is not uncommon to come across animals or agricultural vehicles, so be careful!
You should also be aware that there are far fewer service stations than in France or other European countries. You should therefore be vigilant during your stay to visit Turkey in a converted van or camper van. If you are travelling a long way, remember to fill up your tank as soon as you see a station!
In Turkey, you will first need a national or international driving licence. You will also need the vehicle's insurance papers as well as its registration papers. In addition, if you have rented a vehicle to visit Turkey in a converted van or camper van, you will need to have the rental contract, or a copy of it.
Safety and equipment
No big change for security to visit Turkey in a converted van or camper van. You will need to wear your seatbelt. In addition, no passengers should sleep in the back of the vehicle while it is in motion. Children under 36 kg must have a booster seat.
Finally, with regard to mandatory or recommended equipment, please make sure you have the following with you:
- Yellow vest for each passenger,
- Spare tire,
- First aid kit,
- Set of sparebulbs,
- Sunglasses (brightness is very high in Turkey, and sunlight is almost perpetual in some areas).
In Turkey, the permitted blood alcohol level when driving a vehicle is 0.5 g/L. If you exceed this limit, you will have to pay a fine of at least TL 700 (about EUR 280).
To visit Turkey by motorhome, the speed limits to be observed are as follows:
- 120 km/h on toll motorways,
- 110 km/h on the free expressways,
- 90 km/h outside the city,
- 50 km/h in built-up areas, unless otherwise specified.
RV parks in Turkey: where to park?
You will be able to park in town with your motorhome, as with any other vehicle. However, this means that you will also have to respect the same rules.
In built-up areas you must ensure that the doors and windows of the motorhome are closed. Nothing may protrude beyond the vehicle's size, except on a bicycle rack at the rear of the vehicle. So you will not be able to settle down with your furniture or put your chocks. In addition, it is forbidden to sleep in your vehicle while parked in built-up areas. To settle down, it is therefore better to go to a campground or motor home parking lot.
Camping, parking lots and wilderness camping
Turkey has many campsites and motorhome parking lots. However, these are mainly located on the coast. So you can easily find a place to sleep or settle down for a few days there. However, if you don't know where to stop, then tools such as Caramaps can be useful. These will help you to find all the campsites and RV parks in the desired region or country.
Also, good news, wild camping is allowed in Turkey! So you can settle down anywhere and enjoy the most beautiful views of the country! Well, almost everywhere. Indeed, there are a few rules to be respected.
First of all, check that the spot where you want to stop is not protected, on private or government property. Also avoid parking in the middle of a big city. To help you, use tools such as Park4night. This allows you to find the best spots, but also the ones to avoid.
Then, if you want to stop in a field or near a house, ask the owners for permission. Finally, respect the place where you camp, especially if it is in the middle of nature. If you respect this, then everything will go well during your stay to visit Turkey in a converted van.
How and where to rent a motorhome in France?
Do you want to rent a motorhome near you and take a ferry to Turkey from France? It is possible to go through a private rental platform for that! These platforms, such as Yescapa, are very easy to use. You will quickly find a vehicle to visit Turkey in a converted van or a converted van!
How does it work?
- First of all, look for a motorhome in your city or region and check the number of beds available.
- Then make sure that you choose the unlimited mileage, but also that the owner authorizes you to leave the country.
- Send a rental application. Mention your dates, country of destination, options and any other useful information about your trip.
- If the application is accepted, you will be able to pay for the rental and meet the owner of the vehicle.
- On the day of your departure, show your driver's license and pay a deposit to the owner.
- You will then make an inventory of fixtures (with photos) and sign a rental contract.
- That's it! All you have to do now is visit Turkey in a converted van or camper van!
Rent a motorhome near you
How and where to rent a motorhome in Turkey?
Do you prefer to rent a motorhome after you have landed in Turkey? Then you will be able to rent one in the biggest cities of the country. However, to make sure you have a vehicle on arrival, it is advisable to book a motorhome online. To do so, simply go to one of the online platforms offering this type of service.
The principle of these platforms is simple. First of all, you will have to choose the vehicle you want. To do this, compare the number of beds, the type of vehicle or the daily rental price. Once chosen, send a rental request and wait for the answer. When the request is accepted, you will be able to pay for the rental and will receive a confirmation email. That's it! You will only have to take advantage of your road-trip to visit Turkey in a converted van or motorhome!
Rent a motorhome for Turkey
When is the best time to travel by motorhome in Turkey?
With a total area of 783,562 km², Turkey is a country with a wide variety of climates. For example, along the coastline it has a Mediterranean-type climate. Summers are therefore hot, with 30 to 35°C, and winters are mild, with 10 to 17°C on average.
On the Black Sea side, the climate is similar to that of Eastern Europe, with higher temperatures. Summers are hot like the coast, but quite humid. Winters are mild, but rain is omnipresent throughout the season.
So it's difficult to really generalize. Nevertheless, one can agree that the most favourable months to visit Turkey in a converted van are from June to September. In some parts of the country, it is possible to extend this period from April to October.
Nevertheless, a piece of advice: check the weather forecast online for each city you wish to visit. This will allow you to best prepare your trip and choose the optimal period!