- 1. Basic expressions
- 2. Expressions to make oneself understood
- 3. Expressions for orientation
- 4. Useful expressions in a restaurant or shop
- 5. Nice to meet you
- 6. Hope to see you soon
- 7. You are welcome / it's my pleasure
- 8. I beg your pardon
- 9. I am fed up with it
- 10. It's up to you
- 11. You must be kidding
- 12. Make yourself at home
- 13. What a shame! What a pity!
- 14. Come on!
- 15. Damn
- How can I learn other expressions and vocabulary in English?
Are you going on a trip soon? Here are some 50 useful phrases and expressions to learn in English to help you travel and get by abroad!
Whether you are already familiar with the English language or you only started learning a few days ago, these English phrases will be a perfect complement to your vocabulary so that you can easily get by during your travels abroad. Understanding these phrases and using them in everyday life will help you feel comfortable during your trip and with your first exchanges in English with foreigners!
Also read :
Top 10 Podcasts for Learning English
Top 10 of the best applications to learn English
Sentences and polite phrases to know in English to travel
How to learn English quickly and easily?
1. Basic expressions
- " Hello" / "Good morning": Good morning.
- " Hi! " : Hi!
- " Good evening": Good evening
- " How are you?": How are you?
- How are you doing? How are you doing?
- "I' m great, thanks": I'm great, thanks.
- " What's up? ": What's up?
- " How old are you?": How old are you?
- " Where do you from?": Where do you come from?
- " What's your name?": What's your name?
- " My name is..." / "I' m...": My name is... / I am (first name)
- Where do you live? "Where do you live ?
- " Yes" / "No": Yes / No
- I don 't know.
- Thank you! "Thank you
- " Goodbye" / "Bye": Goodbye.
- See you soon
- " See you": A+
- " Have a nice day! ": Have a nice day!
2. Expressions to make oneself understood
- " Do you speak English? French ? ": Parlez-vous anglais ? français ?
- "I don't understand ": I don't understand
- " Can you repeat please? "Can you repeat please ?
- " Could you speak more slowly?": Could you speak more slowly?
- " How do you say "..." in English ? ": How do you say "XXX" in English?
- " How do you spell it ? "How do you spell it?
3. Expressions for orientation
- Can you show me ... on the map, please? Can you show me this place on the map, please?
- Where is the tourism center? ": Where is the tourism center ?
- " On the right", "on the left", "straight ahead": Right, left, straight ahead.
- " Where can I find...? ": Where can I find ...?
- "I 'm looking for..." I'm looking for...
- " Where can I buy the tickets? ": Where can I buy the (transport) tickets?
4. Useful expressions in a restaurant or shop
- "A table for two , please": Une table pour deux
- " Can I have the bill, please? "Can I have the bill, please?
- How much is it, please?": How much does it cost?
- "I would like ... ": I would like to have ...
- "I' ll take this one": I'll take that one.
- " Excuse me, I'm looking for the toilets? "Excuse me, I'm looking for the toilets .
- " Can I pay by card / by cash": Can I pay by card / in cash?
- " We only accept cash": We only accept cash.
- Where can I find an ATM, please? ": Where can I find an ATM, please?
5. Nice to meet you
When you meet someone or are introduced to someone new, you can use this phrase to say "Nice to meet you! ».
- This is Emma.
- "Nice to meet you! »
6. Hope to see you soon
This expression simply means "I hope to see you again soon! ». You will surely hear it after you meet someone. It is often contracted into a short "See you" which means "See you soon! ».
- "It was a great date! Goodbye! »
- "Hope to see you soon! »
7. You are welcome / it's my pleasure
"You are welcome" means "you are welcome". This common expression is the equivalent of our "you're welcome! ». To say "please", you can also use this expression or "it's my pleasure" which simply means "it makes me happy". You may also hear the following expressions: "Don't mention it! "I don't know what to say! "I don't know what to say (to thank you).
- "Thank you for this gift"
- You are welcome! »
8. I beg your pardon
To apologize, it's common to say, "I am so sorry." But to be polite as an Englishman, it is better to use "I beg your forgiveness" which simply means "I ask your forgiveness". You can also use "Please let me apologize for this mistake. ": Please let me apologize for this mistake.
9. I am fed up with it
This phrase can be translated literally as "I'm satiated by this! ». It simply means that you are fed up with something. That's our "I'm fed up with it".
- "Do you want to continue the tour? »
- I am fed up with it
10. It's up to you
This short sentence to learn in English for traveling simply means "as you wish".
11. You must be kidding
You may hear it on your adventures, "You must be kidding" means "Are you kidding? ». Be careful of the tone of your interlocutor, it can mean you've done something stupid!
12. Make yourself at home
You've arrived at an acquaintance's house and he says "Make yourself at home". That's simply our line: "Make yourself at home! ».
13. What a shame! What a pity!
You will frequently hear these two common phrases in English. They mean "What a shame! ».
14. Come on!
This common phrase in English is an encouragement to either say more, go faster or do more. It is often used at the beginning of a sentence.
- "I can't tell you this secret..."
- "Come on, you can tell me! "Come on, you can tell me!
- "Come on, we will be late! ": Hurry up, we will be late!
It's an exclamation after making a mistake. It's the equivalent of our "Damn" or "Damn it!". ». The expressions "damn it" or "goddamn" are also common. The latter means "damn it! ». You may also hear "Shit! which is the equivalent of our "Shit!". ».
- "Damn, I spilled coffee down my shirt! "Damn, I spilled coffee down my shirt!
How can I learn other expressions and vocabulary in English?
Before you go on a trip, it might be interesting for you to learn other phrases that come up regularly in conversation with locals. For this, here is a selection of books that will be useful to you to complete your learning:
- English B2
- English for all
- English in 5 minutes a day