A complete guide to planning your trip to the charming little town of Carmel. Write down the tips and enjoy a lot!
Carmel-by-the-sea, or just Carmel, is a super touristy town, with well-maintained streets, flowery sidewalks and typical houses that will yield beautiful photos.
The city is located in California, just over 2 hours by car from San Francisco and pasted in Monterey. If you are planning a road trip along Highway 1 in the United States, this charming city needs to be on your itinerary.
Some curiosities of the city, for those who are tuned into series, will remember the famous series "Big Little Lies" where scenes of Nicole Kidman were recorded on the beach Carmel River State Beach. Another interesting fact is that Clint Eastwood was mayor of Carmel from 1986 to 1988.
Liked? We've separated the best tips about Carmel and the region in this complete guide. Write it all down and enjoy your trip!
In this post you will read:
- Things to do in Carmel
- Where to stay in Carmel – Our hotel recommendation
- Internet chip in Carmel
- California travel insurance
- Car rental in Carmel
- Flights to United States
- Read all our tips and posts
Things to do in Carmel
Take the opportunity to walk and discover the typical shops of the city, art galleries, restaurants or stop for a tasting of local wines. In Carmel, by city policy, large stores or chain restaurants are not allowed. That's why the stores are super different from the rest of California.
And of course, the most famous and main attraction are the beaches of Carmel – Carmel Beach e Carmel River State Beach. Each one with its charm, but all beautiful. The view from the beach is beautiful, go at the end of the day and enjoy the sunset.
Where to stay in Carmel – Our hotel recommendation
The city is quite small, so finding accommodation there is not much of a secret. If you prefer and want to enjoy the atmosphere of Carmel more, stay on Rua do Centrinho, so you can do everything on foot.
If you prefer, a good idea is to stay in Monterey, the city is a 10-minute drive from Carmel.
Read all our tips:
- Where to stay in Carmel
- L'Auberge Carmel Relais & Chateaux – Review Hotel
- Where to stay in Monterey
Find the best accommodation in Carmel on Booking.com
Internet chip in Carmel
It's getting easier and cheaper to have unlimited internet throughout your trip in the United States. Nowadays you can buy an international cell phone chip online while you're still here in España. We always use and love it!
You receive the sim card at your address and then just insert it into your cell phone to reach your destination with unlimited 4G internet working.
Also read more chip tips:
- International Cell Phone Chip – Which is the Best and How Much Does It Cost?
- America Chip Discount Coupon – 10% OFF on Travel Chip
Want to have unlimited internet throughout your trip?
Compare prices and buy your international travel chip in advance at America Chip.
California travel insurance
Buying travel insurance for California is an excellent way to ensure a smooth trip and avoid worries. Having the assistance of insurance gives you the peace you need to enjoy your destination and know that you have support if you need it. Also enjoy our Insurance Promo discount coupon. - SEE PRICES
Read all about travel insurance:
- Travel Insurance for the United States – Tips for finding a good and cheap one
- What is the Cheapest Travel Insurance – Tips on How to Save
- How to Get Travel Insurance – 5 Easy Steps [DISCOUNT]
- Which Travel Insurance to Choose – 3 Infallible Tips to Help
- International Travel Insurance – Step-by-step How to Hire
Car rental in Carmel
Renting a car in Carmel is a great idea. In addition to optimizing your time a lot, you will be able to enjoy the nearby towns more.
We really like Rent Cars to find the cars we use on our travels. It is the only one in Spain that compares the best rental companies in the world, but lets you pay in reais, without IOF. In addition, it is also the only one that lets you pay in 12 interest-free installments. It is worth it!
We made a super complete post with tips for car rental in usa. We explain how toll collection works in the country, roads, necessary documentation and much more. It is worth checking!
Read all our tips:
- Car Rental USA – The Guide to Secure the Best Deals
Haven't rented a car for your trip yet?
Guarantee the best price, without IOF, and pay in up to 12 interest-free installments at RentCars.
Flights to United States
Looking for a good deal and flight prices? When buying tickets to the United States, it is worth taking a look at the website. Promo Tickets.
It is quite common to find cheaper and better flight options than on other sites. We always use and is it worth it?
Read all our tips and posts
- San Diego – Complete City Guide
- Where to stay in San Francisco – Top regions and hotels
- Car Hire in Los Angeles – Check it all out in this guide
- Los Angeles – Complete Guide to the City of Angels
- Hotel Cavallo Point em Sausalito
- Sports and Games in San Francisco – Everything You Need to Know
- Where to Buy in San Francisco California
- Car Hire in San Francisco – Find out how to get discounts
- Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco – Where to take the best photos
- San Francisco – Complete Travel Guide