- Ideas for itineraries in the Dolomites by motorhome
- Driving in the Dolomites in a motorhome: traffic rules to know
- - Speed to be respected
- - Security measures
- - Blood Alcohol Concentration
- - Limited traffic zone
- Motorway tolls in the Dolomites: which tariff for your motorhome category?
- How and where to rent a motorhome in France?
- How and where to rent a motorhome in the Dolomites?
- Motorhome parks in the Dolomites: where to park?
- - Parking on the public road
- - Campsites and parking lots
- - Wild camping
- What is the best season to travel by motorhome in the Dolomites?
Are you looking for an escape to Italy, by taking the high road? How about visiting the Dolomites this year in a camper van?
Famous for climbing, hiking or skiing, the Dolomites are visited every year by thousands of tourists. These mountains are said to be more than 250 million years old and have a very rich history. It is not a surprise if the Dolomites are now dotted with museums. These tell the story of the many historical events and geological discoveries that have taken place. In addition, the villages, lakes and rivers of incredible beauty attract travellers in search of adventure. Nevertheless, a certain distance separates these places. This is why many tourists decide to discover the Dolomites by motorhome. The undulating mountain roads are ideal for this type of trip.
Are you going to visit the Dolomites in a motorhome, van or converted van? Wondering how to efficiently connect Lake Sorapis, Bolzano or the Marmolada massif on your way? Follow the guide!
Also read :
Italy by motorhome: tips, areas, itineraries
Italian lakes in Motorhome : tips, areas, itineraries
Sicily in Motorhome: tips, areas, itineraries
Ideas for itineraries in the Dolomites by motorhome
The Dolomite mountain range covers more than 15,942 km². Therefore, it is practically impossible to visit it all at once. You will therefore have to prepare an itinerary with what you want to see while you visit the Dolomites in your motorhome. You don't have a clear idea? Then here are some ideas for itineraries to do while visiting the Dolomites by motorhome. Of course, you may have to adapt them if you have places you want to see:
- Northern Italy in 7 days: Bolzano, Passo Sella, Lake Misurina, Monte Cristallo, the three peaks of Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Lake Braies and the town of Cortina d'Ampezzo.
- 7 days from Belluno to Trentino: Lake Sorapis, Cinque Torri, Lake Fedaia, Marmolada massif, Rosengarten Group, Trento, Monte Bondone, Lake Garda, Auronzo di Cadore.
- 15 days in the Dolomites: itinerary 7 days northern Italy + Lago di Carezza, Monte Corno Park, Cinque Torri and Trento.
- One month and more in the Dolomites: the three above mentioned itineraries + Sorapis lake and Puez-Oddle park.
Also to be read: Visiting Italy in 8 days: road-trip in the North
Driving in the Dolomites in a motorhome: traffic rules to know
Speed to be respected
Driving in Italy is easy in general, but since the roads in the Dolomites are mountainous, you have to stay alert. When you visit the Dolomites in a motorhome, the speed limits are the same as for cars :
- 50 km/h in the city,
- 30 miles an hour on the road,
- 110 km/h on dual carriageways,
- 80 miles per hour on the highways.
Unfortunately, local drivers are a bit sporty in their driving. But on your side, don't do the same. They're used to driving on those twisty roads, but you're not. So take your time and pay close attention to the road. Mountain roads are very dangerous, some more so than others. Moreover, when visiting the Dolomites in a camper van, you will have a heavy and difficult vehicle to steer.
In addition, all the usual safety measures and rules are in place. Among others, the wearing of seat belts and the use of child seats must be respected.
Blood Alcohol Concentration
As for the blood alcohol level, it is a maximum of 0.5 g/l. It is therefore the same as in France, and you must respect this limit. Indeed, if you break the law, you risk not only fines, but also more serious penalties.
Limited traffic zone
Finally, it is very important to note that some cities will have a ZTL, or limited traffic zone. In this one, you will need a special authorization to cross it. If you don't have one when you visit the Dolomites in a camper van, you risk fines.
Motorway tolls in the Dolomites: which tariff for your motorhome category?
You can visit the Dolomites by motorhome at your leisure along many roads. Indeed, few of them are not free of charge. If you wish to go to Tre Cime, you will have to pass through a toll station. At the toll station you will have to pay 24€ for the toll.
How and where to rent a motorhome in France?
Would you like to go to the Dolomites with your own motorhome or converted van for example? It is now easy to rent a motorhome in France. How do you do it? The best way is to use platforms to put people in touch with each other, as Yescapa does for example.
How does it work?
- First of all, you have to choose the motorhome in your city (for example Bordeaux, Nantes, Toulouse, Paris, Montpellier or Marseille).
- Be careful to choose the unlimited mileage, to check the number of beds available and if travelling abroad is possible.
- Make your rental request online and share your travel information (dates, rental options, mileage, etc.) with the owner.
- If your request is accepted and after payment, you will have access to the owner's contact information to arrange a first meeting.
- On the day of the meeting, present your driver's license and pay the deposit.
- An inventory of fixtures is carried out and a rental contract is signed between the two parties. On your return, after having criss-crossed the Dolomites, sign the inventory of fixtures and that's it!
Rent a motorhome in France
How and where to rent a motorhome in the Dolomites?
It is now possible to rent this type of vehicle in Italy. All you have to do is use rental platforms such as Yescapa. This allows you to get in touch directly with the owner of a motorhome or converted van in the area you wish to visit.
How does it work?
- First of all, go to the necessary platform. Then enter the city where you want to pick up the motorhome. You will be able to choose a place near the Dolomites, or a city in France if you wish.
- Choose the desired options, including the number of beds. Also, if possible, choose the option of unlimited mileage for your convenience.
- Fill out a rental request form. In it, you will need to fill in all the information relating to your trip.
- If the application is accepted by the landlord, then you will be able to pay for your rental. Following this, a first meeting with the owner will be arranged.
- On the day of departure, go to the landlord, pay the deposit and sign your rental contract after presentation of the permit. At the same time, you will make an inventory of fixtures before signing the contract.
- Discover the Dolomites by motorhome and enjoy your stay!
Rent a motorhome for the Dolomites
RV parks in the Dolomites: where to park?
Parking on public roads
Are you visiting the Dolomites by motorhome and need a short break? Then, like any other vehicle, motorhomes are allowed to park on public roads. Nevertheless, they will have to respect all the rules applied to other vehicles. In particular, you must park only on designated parking spaces.
In addition, other rules must be followed. For example, you may not place your chairs and table on the public highway. Also, you may not sleep in the vehicle when parking on the public road.
Campsites and parking lots
The easiest way to park for the night is to go to a campsite. There, you can find places where you can sleep in your motorhome. In addition, you will be able to install your table and chairs.
If you are on the motorway when night falls, then you can stop at a parking lot. There are many places where you can stop. These allow you to stop for up to 24 hours and you can use the services offered on site. However, you will not be able to dispose of waste water in this type of place.
Wild camping is forbidden by law. Indeed, fines and prosecution can be launched if you get caught. Do you still want to spend a night in the wilderness, even if it means defying the laws? Then it is always possible to find discreet, secluded places to park.
Do you want to do this while you are visiting the Dolomites in a camper van? Then go through Park4night. This is an application where you can find wild spots and campsites easily. Everything is updated regularly, and you will be able to see where the checks are taking place in real time. In addition, all types of parking lots are referenced on an interactive map with GPS coordinates.
What is the best season to travel by motorhome in the Dolomites?
The Dolomites are very vast. Indeed, the massifs extend over a very large geographical area. Therefore, the climate of the mountains can sometimes surprise you and vary from place to place. To visit the Dolomites by motorhome, we recommend the month of September, at the limit mid-August. This way you will avoid stormy days and snow.
On that note, we wish you a good preparation for an adventure that will undoubtedly be unforgettable. Have a good trip!