A complete guide to plan your trip to El Calafate. Write down the tips and enjoy a lot!
El Calafate is located more than 2750 km south of Buenos Aires, in the province of Santa Cruz, Patagonia Argentina. Much visited during the winter months, the charming city has beautiful natural attractions such as Los Glaciares National Park and historical ones, such as Cuevas de Las Manos, considered by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
The flagship, however, of this small town is the Perito Moreno glacier, the third largest glacier in the world and the most famous in Patagonia. It is also considered a Natural Heritage Site by UNESCO.
El Calafate, despite being small, has several attractions and a beautiful hotel network to welcome its increasingly growing visitors. Get all the tips below:
In this post you will see:
- Things to do in El Calafate
- Where to stay in El Calafate
- Internet chip in Argentina
- Travel insurance for Argentina
- Car rental in El Calafate
- Flights to El Calafate
- Read all our El Calafate tips and posts
Things to do in El Calafate
The city offers different types of tours such as visits to Los Glaciares National Park, canoeing, cruises and even nautical safaris through the Perito Moreno glacier. Furthermore, just three hours away is the trekking capital of the world: El Chatén.
And if you can stretch your trip a little further, be sure to visit Ushuaia, La Tierra del Fuego, further south in Argentina. There are countless activities to choose from and have fun.
Read all our tips:
- Things to do in El Calafate – Visit Patagonia Argentina
- Ushuaia – Complete City Tour
- Things to do in Ushuaia – 9 Must-See Attractions
- Ushuaia Tips – Everything to Plan your Trip
- What to do in Patagonia – Summary Itinerary
Book all El Calafate tickets and tours in advance and skip the lines with GetYourGuide
Where to stay in El Calafate
The winter season is the most popular time for accommodation in the region, so it is important to book your hotel or hostel in advance to avoid headaches when you arrive. You can book your room online at one of the hotels we have listed below.
Read more at:
- Where to stay in El Calafate – Hotels in the Region
- Where to stay in Ushuaia – 10 Best Accommodations
Find the best accommodation in El Calafate on Booking.com
Internet chip in Argentina
It's getting easier and cheaper to have unlimited internet throughout your trip in El Calafate. Nowadays you can buy an international cell phone chip online while you're still here in España. We always use and love it!
You receive the sim card at your address and then just insert it into your cell phone to reach your destination with unlimited 4G internet working.
Also read more chip tips:
- International Cell Phone Chip – Which is the Best and How Much Does It Cost?
- America Chip Discount Coupon – 10% OFF on Travel Chip
Want to have unlimited internet throughout your trip?
Compare prices and buy your international travel chip in advance at America Chip
Travel insurance for Argentina
Buying travel insurance for El Calafate it is essential. To have fun and enjoy the best of the country's attractions without worrying, the best thing to do is to buy travel insurance with good medical and hospital coverage. So you can relax to enjoy the destination.
Read all about travel insurance:
- What is the Cheapest Travel Insurance – Tips on How to Save
- How to Get Travel Insurance – 5 Easy Steps [DISCOUNT]
- Which Travel Insurance to Choose – 3 Infallible Tips to Help
- International Travel Insurance – Step-by-step How to Hire
Car rental in El Calafate
Renting a car El Calafate is a great idea to discover the landscapes and cities of the region. In addition to optimizing your time a lot, you will be able to enjoy it more without having to depend on public transport.
We really like Rent Cars to find the cars we use on our travels. It is the only one in Spain that compares the best rental companies in the world, but lets you pay in reais, without IOF. In addition, it is also the only one that lets you pay in 12 interest-free installments. It is worth it!
Flights to El Calafate
Looking for a good deal and flight prices? When buying tickets to Argentina, it is worth taking a look at the website Promo Tickets.
It is quite common to find cheaper and better flight options than on other sites. We always use and is it worth it?
Read all our El Calafate tips and posts
- Where to stay in Bariloche – 21 hotels in the best regions
- Aconcagua – Everything for you to plan your trip to the highest peak in America
- Wineries in Mendoza that you cannot miss
- Hotels in Mendoza – 13 options we love and recommend
- Entre Cielos Mendoza – a stay among the wineries
- Itinerary in Mendoza – Tips for 2 to 5 days in the city
- Mendoza – All about the city of Argentine wineries
- What to do in Mendoza – The 25 best tours
- Mendoza travel insurance – Tips for traveling more peacefully