But if not English, what is Australia's official language? Learn a little about Australian and take your adventures in Australia literally and in a good mood.
By: Larissa @hellolarissa
Google will tell you that the official language of Australia it's English, but Google doesn't know anything (or does it?!). Down under (reference to Australia) is spoken the Australian.
But what is Australian?
Australian is the Australian English, a mix between traditional English, other languages and even immigration influences that over time were adapted and transformed, thus forming the current Australian way of talking.
Opera House in Sydney / Photo: Disclosure
Australian, at its core, describes the character and identity of what it means to be Australian. The language has a casual, casual and often even comical tone which is the perfect representation of the Aussie way of being: free, light and loose.
Have you already purchased your travel insurance?
Save on the best plans with the coupon FORTRAVELOVERS.
Click here and check it out!
Australian English had, and still has, as one of its biggest influencers the aboriginal languages. For example, the words boomerang, kangaroo and koala are of Aboriginal origin. Much of Australian is the accent and pronunciation, which tend to abbreviate and even change the end of several words (see examples below).
Slang, which is also a fundamental part of the language, contributes to a vocabulary that most Australians understand and use in their daily activities.
Australian Aborigines / Flickr: alexwon16
If the Australia it's your next destination and you don't know much about Australian, no worries (no problem). In urban centers and tourist areas it is usually not common to find people speaking English in the Australian way.
It is also worth noting that the Australia it's a multicultural country, and Australians are patient and more than used to people who don't speak ANY English or have super basic English.
Discount hotels in Sydney Australia
Anyway, it's always good to learn about the destination country. So, below is a list of the most common words and phrases (with translation) Australian English and a video with two Aussies talking about Australian.
- Aussie: Australian
- Avo: short version of 'avocado' (avocado)
- Arvo: short version of 'afternoon' (afternoon)
- Banger: 'sausage' (sausage)
- Barby/Barbie: short version of 'barbecue' (barbecue)
- Bikkie: short version of 'biscuit' (biscuit)
- bloody: an adjective used for intensity. Ex: 'bloody hot' (extremely very hot!)
- Bloody oath: absolutely absolutely true
- brekkie: short version of 'breakfast'
- Brolly: short version of 'umbrella' (umbrella)
- Budgy smuggler: help
- Bum: 'butt' (mother)
- Buddy: friend
- B.Y.O: short version of 'bring your own'. Ex: BYO alcohol (Bring Your Own Drink)
- Cozzie: bikini or swimsuit
- Cuppa: hot drink, usually in reference to tea
- Chuck a sickie: when a person does not go to work and says he is sick and is not really sick, the person is said to 'chuck a sickie'
- Chrissy: short version of 'Christmas' (Christmas)
- flaw: short version of 'definitely' (definitely)
- footy: short version of 'football' (Australian Football, very different to Españaeiro)
- Fair dinkum: true, genuine
- Fair go: give a chance
- G’day: Hello good day
- Good on you: very well/good for you
- heaps: much. Ex: 'thanks heaps' (thanks a lot)
- hubby: short version of 'husband' (husband)
- Kiwi: someone from New Zealand
- Loo: Restroom
- Maccas: short version of McDonald's
- Mate: friend
- mozzie: mosquito
- No worries: no problems
- Ripper: a very good thing
- Roo: short version of 'kangaroo' (kangaroo)
- Stoked: very happy
- Servo: short version of 'service station' (gas station)
- sunnies: short version of 'sunglasses' (sunglasses)
- Straya: short version of Australia
- Ta: short version of 'thank you' (thanks)
And the video I mentioned above:
Na Australia English is spoken, right? Wrong! Want to know more? Do you have a phrase or word that we should add to our list? Leave a comment or visit @hellolarissa on insta.”
Australia Travel Insurance
Taking out travel insurance for Australia is an excellent way to ensure a smooth trip and avoid worries. Having the assistance of insurance gives you the peace you need to enjoy your destination and know that you have support if you need it. Also enjoy our Insurance Promo discount coupon. – SEE PRICES
Receive a SIM card at your home in España and use unlimited Internet throughout Australia
Are you also tired of only being able to use your cell phone at points that you find Wi-Fi free during the trip? And having to pay per day to be able to use a GPS in the rental car on the trip?
We couldn't take it anymore, especially because we wanted to post real-time photos of our trip on social media. In addition, Google is a great ally to find what we need while on vacation, such as information and places, and you can't just use it where you have Wi-Fi.
So we discovered one of the best solutions to end this problem, that you will no longer have to spend hours of travel in phone stores in the country, speaking an unknown language to get a SIM card. This is one of the tips we love to give our readers: a America Chip.
Write it down: The company sends an international Chip to your home in Spain. When you're on the plane, just change your Brazilian SIM card for this international one. You will arrive in the United States om unlimited internet, using your cell phone at will, as you use in España.
Arriving in Australia, you can use it all day, anywhere. You'll save on GPS rentals, Skype credits, and you'll still be able to use social networks, Google, or search for anything on the internet all day. In addition, you can still call your home to send travel news as many times as you want via WhatsApp or Facetime.
Plan your trip:
Get started now by booking your hotel in Australia on Booking.com
Save time and money searching for the best Travel Insurance with the Seguros Promo comparator! Extra 5% off with coupon: FORTRAVELOVERS
Compare the best prices to rent a car from over 100 rental companies with Rentcars! (Pay in up to 12X! Pay in reais, without IOF)
Leave España with Unlimited 4G Internet!